Thursday, October 8, 2015

Change in the CCM

So this week was pretty good. So far all of the Latino´s are headed out to their assigned areas so its pretty quiet in the CCM. There is about 30 people in the CCM. But we´re going to make up for it tomorrow. We´re suppose to get like 50 new people in. It´s going to be a packed house. I also had to say goodbye to two of my roommates, Elder Medina and Elder Fernandez. (The two latinos in my previous picture.) We got eachother´s contact information so we will be writing each other a lot. Also this past week was conference, it was amazing. The whole time we were so pumped. It was like getting ready to watch the super bowl. I wrote so many notes it´s insane. I also learned a lot. Go back and watch Jeffery R. Holland´s talk about mothers. It was the best talk that I watched during conference. "No love in mortality comes closer to approximating the pure love of Jesus Christ than the selfless love a devoted mother has for her child." Because of this talk it reminded me of all the things that my own mother has done for me. If it wasn´t for her and her example I don´t know if I would be the person I am today. Seriously, she has changed my life. Because of her loving influence in my life, it has made it easier for me to serve a mission. I miss her a ton, but know that Colombia is where I am suppose to be right now. Now being away from family and friends I realize how great my life has been, and how much the Lord has blessed me. Becuase of the love and support from everyone at home, it makes it all worth the while to serve. I´ll do my best to keep people updated. If I don´t write you back it´s not because I don´t want to respond. I just only get one hour to write once a week.

A few days ago we got to go proselyting for an hour. It was pretty good, me and Elder Hanson got 6 contacts in about an hour. The best part was when we got to talk to a woman who seemed to be in her twenties. She was smoking a cigarette when we started talking to her. As I tried my best to bare my testimony in Spanish, she was surprrisingly receptive to our message. She accepted a Book of Mormon and got her contact information. Also half way through talking with her she put out her cigarette and had more of a smile on her face. The best part was when the sisters in our district walked past her later during the hour, they told us that she had already started reading the Book of Mormon. It was a small instince like this that made missionary work all worth it to me. The fact that I have the ability to bless other people´s lives is incredible. And I haven´t even left the CCM yet.

Today was also a good day. We got to go to the Bogota temple. It´s super big compared to the one in Saint Paul. Afterwards we got to go to the Immigration Offices in downtown Bogota. They said it usually takes about 2-5 hours to go all thte way through the process. We were out of there in about an hour and a half. It´s crazy, the people in the offices are terrifying, they like stare into your soul. Luckily I made it out alive. And now I am officially a citizen of Colombia! Things are just getting better and better here in the CCM.

An interesting fact about Bogota, graffitti is like encouraged here. There is so much graffiti down here. In America it is seen as defacing property. But here, it is just what they do. People are weird here. At least they are nice to the missionaries. While we are driving home from the immigration office people are selling waffles on a stick. It´s like going to a baseball game, but the baseball game is in the middle of the freeway.

As far as Spanish goes, it´s going alright. People keep telling me that my spanish is good for a gringo. As far as two weeks goes, I can at least carry a conversation and invite others to be baptized. I still have a lot to go, but I know that the more I practice the better I will be.

Su Objectivo: Invitar a las personas a venir a Cristo ayudarlas a que reciban el Evangelio restaurado mediante la fe en Jesucristo y Su Expiación, el arrepentimiento, el bautismo, le recepción del don del Espíritu Santo y el perseverar hasta el fin.

October 6, 2015





No comments:

Post a Comment