Saturday, October 3, 2015

First Week in the MTC (CCM)

As far as the plane ride getting here went, it was pretty good. It was also nice because I didn’t lose any luggage, and made it safely. So in Bogota, its not called the MTC, they call it the CCM. I don’t know why, that is just what it is called. It’s also very small. There are like 60 missionaries in the whole CCM. Our district is pretty cool. We are district Moroni. Most of the people are going to Colombia, but a few of them are going to Ecuador. At first when I was in the CCM I was super home sick. I just really wanted to go home, and be with my family. But once I started focusing on why I was here, it made it easier to focus on my objective as a missionary. I appreciate all the letters from people. If I can’t email you back its not because I don’t want to. It’s because I only have time to write for one hour each week. Seriously all of these notes are amazing. They are the best part of the week.

As far as the people here, it’s great. Whenever the Latino teachers meet someone from Utah they call them Mormon Factory. When I first heard this, I was dying. The Latino teachers are hilarious and really fun. Spanish is tough but I’m learning little by little. When they tell me that Spanish is one of the easiest languages to learn, it gets really discouraging. But learning the language will come. It’s only a matter of time. Also everyday at 4 we get to play soccer or futbol with the teacher. They are so good at soccer, I thought I was good but man, these guys are fast. They win and barely break a sweat. But its nice after sweating my guts out we get to have pretty nice dinners. I swear I have eaten so much that I have gained at least 3 pounds. I am eating so much that I have had to loosen my belt loop one notch already haha. Also they give you avocado slices that are as big as your hand.

The apartments are pretty nice, we have a really good view of the streets. There is an intersection right outside our window. It’s really fun, my companion and I watch traffic after personal study and watch the traffic, its insane. So nobody stops at stop signs, and people don’t wait for anyone, they just pull out into the intersection and expect everyone else to wait for them. Seriously there are like two cars changing lanes, while a bike is like 6 inches away, into oncoming traffic and a guy is doing a U turn in the opposite direction, while an old lady walks through the street. Not in the crossing area, through the street. Its crazy. Yesterday was also good, there was a bus parked outside the CCM playing I want it that way by the Backstreet Boys, I think. And it was the best day so far haha. Sometimes it feels like prison because we never get to leave, but I know that it is mostly for safety.

Also on P Days there is a lady that walks around the CCM looking for missionaries that need haircuts. Luckily I have been able to avoid her. But I have a feeling that I’m getting a haircut today. More updates to come on the situation. We also got to go to the temple today. Because today is P Day I was able to play with the Latino teachers. It was amazing I and a few assists and a goal. That was my miracle for the day.

The mornings can be rough because we have to get up at 6, but it’s starting to get better. The showers are terrible. Everyday we wake up and then have to take a shower in ice. The water never heats up, but I’m getting more and more used to it. My companion is pretty cool, he is fresh out of high school and is from Alpine, UT. A lot of the teachers call him Mormon Factory, its pretty funny. Things are getting better, also General Conference is this week. I am so stoked, this weekend is going to be a blast.

October 1, 2015



Elder Harris and companion Elder Hanson






1 comment: