Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Colombian Weeknd

Remember the Weeknd from the U.S? For those of you who don't know the Weeknd is a famous singer, at least he was before I left haha. We have the colombian equivilent here. His name is Romeo Santos. Its like if the Weeknd was colombian it would he him. Give a listen to him, its all in spanish but it is pretty good. Let me know what you all think.

As for my companion and I, we have had a really good week this week. We taught a lot of lessons and we have quite a few progressing investigators. At times the mission gets a bit tough with the language and everything, but I love having something I can always improve on. Also I haven't realized how blessed I have been to have latino companions. There are people from my MTC group who have only had gringo companions and dont know the language that well. I guess the struggle does really pay off. I would actually rather have a latino companion over a gringo companion, I love the humor of Elder Mejia. The other day I was in the shower and we have this little vent thing next to the shower. He leaned over and tried to take a photo of me while I was showering but only got my head. I got revenge after. When he was in the shower I got a funny photo of him in the act of noticing the camera. I was dying. Also I don't think I have every smiled this much in my life. I am really happy right now. I love the mission. At first the mission was a sacrifice. But it is so worth it. Man there is nothing else I would rather be doing than serving the people of Colombia.

This last week we had changes and now we have a new missionary in our apartment. He is a Chileno. Reminds me of Colin only because he is from Chile and that is where he served haha. But he is really cool, and also really serious. He is really obedient and knows a lot of the doctrine. I have only known him for two days but hopefully I will get to know him more in the coming weeks. I thought that serving a mission in South America was going to be easy. I thought I would have a lot of baptisms and lots of success. Apparently the church isn't that strong here in Medellin. And it is hard to have lots of baptisms. So when we do have baptisms it is awesome, knowing all of our hard work has payed off and knowing that these people can receive many blessings is amazing. We haven't had lots of baptisms lately, but we hope to have a few baptisms in about 2 weeks. I am so looking forward to those days, hopefully people can keep the commitments and attend church.

This week I would like to share a quick spiritual message with you guys. This week I have learned and applied a lot more in my life about faith. What does faith mean? And how can I grow my faith? Faith is believing and knowing in things which we can't see but we know that are true. For me, sometimes I feel like I can do this mission on my own. I can learn the language by myself and I can do the missionary work by myself. But that is not true, when I put my faith in him. I can do more than I ever could on my own. I can tell you right now if it wasn't for his help there is no way I could actually communicate with the people here. Really I feel like being humble is the key. When we realize that he is willing to help us when we have weeknesses he will give us strength. My favorite scripture is Ether 12:27. Remember to be humble, and if you are humble, he will turn your weeknesess into strengths. I know that is true, especially in missionary work. I hope you are all doing well. Just know that I am fine, and that I am getting fed really well here. The other day I ate literally a mountain of rice. Took Elder Mejia and I 45 minutes to eat it all. So much food, it is good, but I am getting fat hahah. Also people have asked me what is the weirdest thing you have eaten on your mission. For me it was probably drinking goat milk from goats. It was probably the nastiest thing in the world. I don't recommend drinking Colombian goat milk.

Chao
February 1, 2016





No comments:

Post a Comment